10/27/16

9~24~2015: Otaku Culture!!!


   Yes I am an Otaku... if you don't know what that is i can help you with that..


ōˈtäko͞o/

Otaku is the honorific word of Taku (home).

Otaku is extremely negative in meaning as it is used to refer to someone who stays at home all the time and doesn't have a life (no social life, no love life, etc)

Usually an otaku person has nothing better to do with their life so they pass the time by watching anime, playing videogames, surfing the internet (otaku is also used to refer to a nerd/hacker/programmer). 
Another definition wrote this as part of it...

In America, the term is used to denote a zealous fan, usually of anime and/or manga. Due to its introduction to most people's vocabulary through its tongue-in-cheek use in Gainax's film, "otaku" tends to have a much less dire definition overseas. 

When dealing with Japanese people, however, it may be best to keep in mind the modern Japanese image of an otaku -- Someone who only leaves their home to eat or shop, if at all, with an overwhelming and unhealthy obsession about something. It can as easily refer to a stalker or sociopath as it can to a harmless anime buff. 


 So now i'm prety sure your wondering why I said I'm an Otaku... To start I think these definitions are misleading... I'm an American and I don't see anything wrong with being an Otaku about something... I'm a Fan of anime... it's 80% of what I watch when I have the time. I'm a nerd who programs html pages for showing what hexidecimal code will give you what color (though I haven't published them anywhere) and I love reading manga! But I don't fit the "no social life" thing... that's the part I feel is the  misleading part of these definitions....

The YouTuber Rachel from the channel "Rachel & Jun" did a video about otaku culture... you should take a look because these definitions don't tell the whole truth and the video tells you all you need to know about Japan vs. America when it comes to Otaku culture...

Rachel & Jun: Otaku culture

They say it better than I ever could lol... Hope you like the blog and enjoy the video!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment